Spring Term 2020 Curriculum & Topics
Kingfisher Class ~ Spring Term - 2020
This term our topic is Journeys of Exploration
This term our class text is the classic “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” by C. S. Lewis. A variety of writing styles will be covered including adventure/fantasy stories; author study; information texts and persuasive texts.
Children will also be involved in weekly guided reading, spelling and handwriting sessions. Your support with practising spellings and reading is invaluable.
We will be learning a variety of topics including: multiplication and division; measurement – length, perimeter, area, mass and capacity; fractions and decimals. A significant focus is on learning times tables up to x12. Your support with practising times tables each week on Times Table Rockstars is invaluable.
We will be studying the topics of “human digestion” and “sound”. Every opportunity will be provided to encourage children to be inquisitive about the worlds around them and to use practical scientific methods.
In P.E, we will be developing skills in gymnastics and dance. This will be taught in the school hall.
History and Geography
Our History focus is on great explorers through time. We will focus on three explorers namely Sir Frances Drake, Captain Cook and Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
In the second half term our Geography focus will be exploring the use of OS maps, understanding map symbols, grid references and compass points. We will test out our skills with orienteering activities.
Religious Education and PSHE
In R.E. we will be learning about Judaism focusing specifically on Moses and in PSHE be introducing zone of regulation.
Computing, Art, French and Music
This term Computing and Art are both covered by Mrs Thomas and French and Music are covered by Mrs Whitaker and Mr Burdge.
A few extra notes...
- Our P.E day is Tuesday. We ask that you make sure that ALL your child’s clothes are marked with their name.
- Every Friday weekly homework is due in and handed out. We also have our weekly spelling and times table test.
- Please encourage your child to read regularly and discuss their books with them at home. Please update their reading journal as reading awards can be achieved.
- Bronze Reward – 50 times recorded reading at home.
- Silver Reward – 100 times recorded reading at home.
- Gold Reward – 200 times recorded reading at home.
- Times tables are essential to promote children’s maths learning and will be a key focus this year. By the end of year 4 all children need to know all of their times tables, up to and including x12. Children will need to spend times practising them at home as the aim is to recall them accurately and at speed. Please remember to practise on Times Table Rockstars.